Tuition - online and/or face-to-face

In this forum we ask your opinions on teaching and learning models and course delivery. For example, do you prefer working entirely online or do you prefer having a book - and do you like online tutorials or face-to-face tutorials?

What mode of tuition to do you prefer?

Online tutorials only
19%
Face-to-face tutorials only
13%
A blend of online and face-to-face tutorials
69%

Total votes: 16

madorbad
Site Admin

Tuition - online and/or face-to-face

Post by madorbad » Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:00 pm

Use the poll to tell us about your preferences for tutorials.

Robbda

Re: Tuition - online and/or face-to-face

Post by Robbda » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:24 pm

I actually enjoy both.

This year I attended the OU live and my face to face tutorial and gleamed fab information and techniques from both.

Face to face makes your tutor more approachable I don't feel I could email a faceless person and have no "real" interaction

One thing that I think you should consider is perhaps holding a tutorial before the TMA AND after... perhaps the after being an OU live session where people have to book in to prevent tutors from wasting their time to attend a venue with no turn out and it can be for the region, just to go over what you could of added to get the higher marks - I think I am guilty of reading the notes, half understanding where I went wrong or as i'm consistently 75 and above not really being proactive enough to go out of my way to find out what I missed as I'm to focused in trying to keep my head above water for the next block. having a two hour on line session seems more attractive than picking up the phone

I also felt my course suffered last year from not having a day school. I had two in my first and it was fab, revising the notes and blocks but with a different teacher with different methods either reaffirmed that I knew the content or explained it in a way I understood better than how my tutorial had been taught

So:

Tutorial before TMA
OU Live After TMA
Day School before EMA/Project work/Collaboration work

amiejohnson

Post by amiejohnson » Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:26 am

I made a uni friend through face to face tutorials!!!

This is massive and would never of happened if the tutorials had been entirely online. We sat next to each other, chatted, found out we lived near each other and as a result now meet up to study and text about any problems we might have.

Not having uni friends was the thing I have been most disappointed with up to now, having that support and someone who understands what you're going through is so helpful. It is much harder to arrange online so I think face to face tutorials are necessary so you can form a support network if you want to.

However, online tutorials are also really important, especially if you are too far away to regularly attend face to face tutorials. For example one of my modules has tutorials over an hour away which I can't make on weekday evenings because I would have no time to eat dinner when I got home from work and wouldn't get home from the tutorial until late. I would spend more time travelling than at the tutorial! Therefore I need the alternative of the online tutorials so I don't miss out on valuable study time!

Trina Havard

Post by Trina Havard » Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:35 pm

Hi everyone

Thanks for telling us about your experiences with tutorials, we will certainly keep this in mind for DD310. :)

best,
Trina
(module chair)

Kate D

Post by Kate D » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:34 pm

I enjoy the face to face tutorials when brainstorming is needed, and you want to bounce ideas around. I get a lot out of hearing other peoples perspectives. The only problem I have experienced with this is that on my last 2 years, only me and possibly 1-2 other people ever turn up. It may be worth finding out who is attending each tutorial to find out whether it is feasible to go ahead.

I have also attending a number of online tutorials and this format really hasn't worked when you want to bounce ideas around, as people don't want to speak, or don't have the correct hardware to allow them to do this. they have been fantastic when its a fairly straight-forward "teach" session, where the tutor is recapping and confirming the learning. The ability to record the sessions also means that you can revisit even if you miss the original.

Hope this helps.
Kate

SarahL

Post by SarahL » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:08 pm

I have found face to face tutorials such a massive help and I would be really saddened if they were scrapped for this module. I learn best in a face to face environment where I can discuss topics and questions with other students and learn directly from the tutor. There is always great group discussion and you just don't get that with online tutorials. Due to my work shifts I have missed two OU live sessions already this year, but at least with the f2f tutorials and day schools I can justify having time off for those and I know that they are worth my while. I have also made some good friends through f2f tutorials.

KJW92

Post by KJW92 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:41 pm

Face to face are definitely my preferred option, it makes me feel like I'm an actual student! Also find them the most valuable in terms of what you take away from them. Much easier to contribute and have a discussion. Online can be useful though for those who can't attend, yet I usually find the online ones are at kids bedtime and more difficult for me.

Ctweed

Post by Ctweed » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Hi,

A blend of both definitely. I feel I get more out of the module this way when compared to just online tutorials.

This is because you get the knowledge and experience of tutors in first hand one to one experience. Online sometimes the group is very busy, signal and sound quality may be low and people interrupting the flow of the conversation by turning their microphone on and off.

JennyPat

Post by JennyPat » Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:48 am

I have never been to a face to face tutorial yet and I really feel like I would have benefited massively but they are always just too far away from me :(