What topics would you like to see covered?

In this forum we explore what topics you would like to cover in the course.
Denise

Re: What topics would you like to see covered?

Post by Denise » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:27 pm

I would like to cover profiling and then how to deal with them and change them, if that is at all possible, so they do not re offend. And due to the current climate what about Terrorist subjects covered.

SarahL

Post by SarahL » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:33 pm

I would love to see a topic on forensic mental health, especially explanation of the role of forensic psychologists (I suspect many people taking this module will have an interest in becoming a forensic psychologist). There was a very good documentary about Broadmoor on ITV recently which would be great to have some video clips from on the website. I also am very interesting in stalking and sexual offenders and attitudes towards these types of offenders. I think psychopathy is done a lot so it would be refreshing to see other things covered.

Having taken the short course on eyewitness testimony that the OU ran on the future learn website I would love to see some of that content in this module. I would also like to see some legal content in this module with some explanation of the criminal justice system and how juries can be influenced.

I wouldnt like to see any CSI type stuff as I think that is kind of the assumption of what forensic psychology is and that is incorrect.

madorbad
Site Admin

Post by madorbad » Mon Nov 23, 2015 10:20 am

SarahL wrote:I would love to see a topic on forensic mental health, especially explanation of the role of forensic psychologists (I suspect many people taking this module will have an interest in becoming a forensic psychologist). There was a very good documentary about Broadmoor on ITV recently which would be great to have some video clips from on the website. I also am very interesting in stalking and sexual offenders and attitudes towards these types of offenders. I think psychopathy is done a lot so it would be refreshing to see other things covered.

Having taken the short course on eyewitness testimony that the OU ran on the future learn website I would love to see some of that content in this module. I would also like to see some legal content in this module with some explanation of the criminal justice system and how juries can be influenced.

I wouldnt like to see any CSI type stuff as I think that is kind of the assumption of what forensic psychology is and that is incorrect.
Many thanks Sarah, glad you liked the FutureLearn course - and no, I can't imagine we will be including any forensic science. As the module combines counselling and forensic psychology, we will definitely be including elements of forensic mental health.

lh22949

Post by lh22949 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:20 pm

All of the above sound really exciting but from a personal perspective as a Domestic Violence worker, I would love to see some mention of domestic abuse in the Forensic section and also maybe the concept of perpetrator programmes for offenders in the Counselling section.

I'm so looking forward to this module, so long as there is no exam :? ;)

Ctweed

Post by Ctweed » Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:17 pm

Hi,

I agree with all the posts above. I would also like to see the treatment side of forensics which is where the counselling part of the module fits in. Psychotherapy what it is and how it is applied in forensically disorded clients.

I have worked with some forensic clients before and still can't get my head around their behaviour. That's why I'm interested in this module for my 3rd year and I think it will be very insightful for me.

Bettina

Post by Bettina » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:42 pm

Here are my suggestions, some are maybe a bit tangential:

'creative' approaches such as art, music and play psychotherapies
motivational interviewing, vocational rehabilitation/rehab counselling
DBT, CAT and other counselling approaches for clients who have emotional instability
recovery activism and peer support, neurodiversity movement

Ann Townsley

Post by Ann Townsley » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:27 pm

I would be interested in nearly all of the forensic topics listed above, but absolutely no interest in counselling.

Ideally I would have much preferred this to be produced as two separate 30 point courses. If they have to be lumped together, I would like the course to be structured so that we could direct our studies more to one side than the other. For example TMAs and EMA/exam should allow choice of questions from both topics.