Exam or EMA

In this forum we explore issues, and preferences, for the final module assessment. Should it be a written, unseen exam, or a project that can be completed and submitted in the same way as other coursework?

Would you prefer the final assessment be an exam or EMA?

Exam
4%
EMA
96%

Total votes: 23

KirstenKearney

Re: Exam or EMA

Post by KirstenKearney » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:51 am

I think the main thing we learn about people who do well in exams is how good they are at exams not how good they are at psychology. From someone's exam paper were they've done badly I think we learn very little, if anything, about whether they are good at psychology.

I also feel that answering questions without access to the internet or your notes is becoming a somewhat archaic notion. To anyone who says we should be able to explain an answer from our minds without double checking it or getting additional info from an outside source, I'd say "Yeah, what's your partner's mobile number?"

keg76

Re: Exam or EMA

Post by keg76 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:37 pm

This is a module I really like to sound of and would like to take but I definitely would have to look for another option if it there were an exam involved. All my module choices have been chosen with no exam's in mind. In some cases this has stopped me from doing a module I would have really liked to do but exam stress makes me panic and I struggle. In the past I have dropped by half the marks in an exam compared to the on-going assessments.